You know it’s fall when you can smell the apples simmering in the pot. Canning apples doesn’t take much expertise, and the benefits are enormous.
From Fuji to Braeburn, to Cameo and Gala, all types of apples work well with canning, but those tagged saucing apples will do excellently.
Here’s how to can applebutter, first, preheat the jar, then ladle the apple butter into the jars, close the jars tightly, place the jars in the canners using the jar lifter for ten minutes, turn off the stove but leave the jars for another 5-10 minutes, finally remove the jars and allow to stand for about 12 hours.
When it comes to apple butter canning, water bath canning is the best option. This is because apples are high in acid and will stay fresher for longer with this method.
We’ll be explaining how to can apple butter, the shelf life, and other alternatives for canning apple butter asides from a canner. We will even talk about how to pressure can apples. Read on to see how you can.
Related: How to Make Perfect Margaritas from Applebee
How to Can Applebutter
Table of Contents
This process of canning takes place almost immediately after making your apple butter. It would help if you were warm (not hot) when you wanted to put it in the jars.
Materials Needed to Can Applebutter
- Jars (8 oz jam jars)
- Canning funnel
- Canning rack
- Water bath canner
- New lids
- Canning tong
- Warm apple butter
After getting all these ready, you’re ready to can your apple butter!
Steps to Can Applebutter
Preheat the jars beforehand to be hot enough to withstand high temperatures.
You don’t want the jar breaking when placed in boiling water.
Here are a few ways to do this:
- You can preheat by placing the jars in an oven tray, pouring water, and heating in the oven.
- You could go the easy route and pour some hot water into the jar and leave it.
- Another way to preheat the jars is simply in the dishwasher doing a round.
- Prepare the lids by washing them. Immerse the lid in hot water and add soap for a thorough wash.
- Place the canning rack in the canner. You want to pour enough water into the canning rack so it’s 1″ higher than the jars.
- Place the canner on the stove and set it to boil. Now, the real work begins!
- Ladle your warm apple butter into the preheated jar. Leave a 1/4″ space between the apple butter and the lid (this is called “headspace” among the canning crew, which you’re now one of, welcome!)
- Make sure no air bubbles are left trapped in
- Close the lid and wipe it down. This will take care of any dripping.
- Cap the jars with a lid and make them firmer with a ring. Let it be tight enough to prevent it from opening.
- This is where the tongs come to play. Using the jar lifter, place the jars in the canner. After this, set the timer for 10 minutes.
- Put the stove off. Don’t attempt to remove the jars from the canner. Leave the jars in the pot for 5-10 minutes.
- After this time, take the jars out of the water and place them on a kitchen cloth to sit for about 12 hours before moving.
Tip: a sure-fire way to know if this canning experiment you tried worked. Press your finger on the center of the lid.
A properly canned jar lid will be firm and uneasy about pressing down. On the other hand, if the center pushes inwards, it’ll be that that gas didn’t come off totally.
To solve this, it is usually stored in the freezer if you want to keep it differently. Either that or you have to go over the process again.
Read: How to Make Protein Shakes Taste Better
How to Can Applebutter Without a Canner
It is most preferable to make use of a canner. It is mainly the water bath canning method for apple butter.
However, like for various fruits, you can use boiling water. It is almost the same, just that you’re using a regular pot to boil the water with the jars in it.
Remember to keep the water at one inch above the jar. This method will not have the same result, but it’s good enough if no canner is available.
Is it Safe to Can Applebutter?
Yes, it is 100% safe. Since apples are high acid fruits, canning them, especially water bath canning, suits them well.
Naturally, homemade apple butter will only be good for a few weeks, but you can have apple butter throughout the year if canned.
How Long Does Apple Butter Last Canned?
Homemade canned apple butter will last for about two years. It should be stored in a cool dark place.
However, place it in the freezer once opened, which will last only weeks. If it isn’t put in the freezer, it’ll spoil.
Read: Country Time Pink Lemonade Nutrition Facts
Who doesn’t love apple butter? The entire process, including making the butter, is about 6 hours and 30 minutes, while just canning takes about 10-20 minutes.
Doing this is not as daunting as it looks because it’s not a hands-on process. What’s more? You get to enjoy delicious apple butter you made by yourself all year round. That’s impressive!